Thursday, June 19, 2014

What did they learn?

     As the school year comes to a close, it is natural for me to think about the year that just passed. The three biggest questions that I ask myself are: What did I do right? What do I need to do better? and probably most important, What did they learn?
     It's easy to think about what I did right... I remember the lessons that had students jumping out of their seats with enthusiasm, the projects that got the most "wow"s at the art show, and the days that I couldn't get kids to go home. It's a little less fun to think about what I need to do better... the classes that had students looking more like they were ready for a nap than making art, the stack of nameless projects whose owner I can't seem to locate, or the postcard to a parent I just found (from 2nd quarter) that apparently never found it's way into the mailbox... oops.
     But, how do I really know what my students took away their hours in the art room, how do I know what they learned?
     Being reflective is an incredibly valuable practice in both teaching and artistry, so it is fitting that I'd involve my students in the process. I asked them... "What is the most memorable thing you learned in art class this year?" Here are a few of their responses:






     What they learned is so much more than what I wrote in all of those units & lesson plans. My students may or may not remember all of the art terms, or specifics about techniques and materials. Frankly, that is okay with me. The fact that students are remembering things like how to work through a challenge when they are faced with one, how to express themselves meaningfully, or how to turn a mistake into something positive proves that I have taught students skills that will translate into many areas of their life; skills that they can carry with them forever. This is what I believe arts programs can really do for students, especially those in an urban community. Of course I believe that arts themselves are extremely meaningful and of great worth to learn about and participate in, but, the other things that can be learned through participation in the arts can really make all the difference.


What reflection questions do you ask yourself at the close of a school year? What do you think are the most important things for your students to learn in your art room?

No comments:

Post a Comment